Business & Corporate Attorney Matt Sumrow
California business attorney, Matt Sumrow, represents a wide variety of clients on corporate, securities, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property and real property matters and has over 17 years of experience practicing and teaching law. He has represented both public and private companies in numerous securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions ranging from a few hundred thousand dollars in value to over three hundred million dollars. He also advises clients on intellectual property matters such as registering and licensing trademarks, software development and licensing, domain name registrations and in efficiently resolving intellectual property infringement disputes. His general corporate experience includes forming and operating corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies, and advising companies on matters such as stock option plans, profit sharing plans, executive compensation, buy-sell agreements, consulting agreements, joint venture agreements, vendor agreements and selling and licensing products.
Matt received his bachelor’s degree from UCLA in 1991 and his law degree from the University of California Hastings College of the Law in 1994. He also studied international law at Leiden University in The Netherlands. For two academic years spanning 1996 through 1998, Matt was an Assistant Professor and Civic Education Project Fellow at the Law Faculty of West Bohemia University in the Czech Republic where he taught corporate law, European Union law and other legal subjects.
Matt’s prior professional experience includes having served as Senior Counsel in the corporate department of Allen Matkins Leck Gamble & Mallory LLP (a law firm of over 200 attorneys) and as an Associate in the corporate department of Arter & Hadden LLP.
- Represented Anworth Mortgage Asset Corporation in three public offerings of its common stock raising over $212 million, a $4 million private placement, a shelf registration for $200 million and a merger transaction to become internally managed.
- Represented underwriter Credit Suisse First Boston in a $358 million public stock offering by Newport Corporation.
- Represented Avamar Technologies, Inc. in a $13 million venture capital financing led by Goldman Sachs, CMGI and Benchmark Capital Partners.
- Represented Stone Canyon Venture Partners, LP, a small business investment company, in two private placements raising over $28 million in equity.
- Represented a real estate investment fund in a private placement of $25 million in equity securities.
- Represented Acacia Research Corporation in a $55 million merger with CombiMatrix Corporation and the creation of two new classes of publicly traded stock in connection with that merger.
- Represented Bentley-Simonson, Inc. in a $119 million sale of assets to Plains Exploration and Production Company.
- Represented Multilink Technology Corporation in a merger with Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation.
- Represented Horizon Photonics, Inc. in a $35 million merger with LightPath Technologies, Inc.
- Represented Back Nine, LLC in a merger and debt financing transaction with GEM Mobile Treatment Services, Inc. and Comvest Capital, LLC.
- Represented Arminius in a sale of assets to Mistras Group, Inc.
- Represented Edge Testing and Inspection, Inc. in a sale of assets to Conam Inspection and Engineering Services, Inc.
- Represented a private company in acquiring Suzuki, Isuzu and Subaru car dealerships in Ontario, California.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in resolving a dispute with a major telecommunications provider and negotiating and drafting a new telecommunications services agreement valued at over $18 million.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in negotiating and drafting agreements for software development.
- Represented a fabless semiconductor company in technology development and licensing transactions valued at over $3 million excluding future royalty payments.
- Represented public and private companies in trademark registrations and resolving intellectual property infringement disputes.
- Represented a publicly traded company in negotiating and drafting employment agreements with its three most senior executives.
- Represented a high-tech company in negotiating and drafting a separation and settlement agreement with its founder.
If you or someone you know in Orange County, throughout California, the United States or overseas needs the assistance and trusted legal advice of an experienced business lawyer, please call the Law Office of Matt Sumrow at 949-468-3204, or complete the contact form provided on this site to consult with a skilled California corporate attorney.